Former world sprint champion Frankie Fredericks, of Namibia, has been charged by French authorities for passive corruption and money laundering relating to a graft probe into the awarding of last year’s Olympics to Rio.Received payments of U$229,300The Namibian, who appeared before a judge in Paris on Thursday, is being investigated over a US$299,300 payment he received from Papa Massata Diack, the son of former International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) president Lamine Diack.Bribes paid to hosts OlympicsThe money was allegedly received on October 2, 2009, the same day Rio won the bid. Fredericks denies the allegations.French investigators are looking into the possibility that bribes were paid over the awarding of both the 2016 Olympics to Rio and the 2020 Tokyo Games.The investigation centers to a large extent around the activities of Papa Massata Diack, who along with Lamine Diack also faces charges in France over millions of dollars paid to cover up doping failures by Russian athletes.Fredericks insists that the payments, first revealed by France’s Le Monde newspaper in March, were received for promotional services provided between 2007 and 2011 under a contract signed on March 11, 2007, and had nothing to do with the Olympics, reports said.Following the corruption allegations, the 50-year-old Namibian stepped down as head of the IOC committee evaluating bids to host the 2024 Olympics.For more news in sports, click the link: https://www.caribbeannationalweekly.com/category/sports/
Former Jamaican Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller will have to wait until February 23 to know whether or not herself and other People National Party colleagues who were involved in the so-called “Trafigura affair” case will go before the London-based Privy Council, Jamaica’s highest court.Last year, the Appeal Court dismissed Simpson-Miller and her colleagues appeal against a Supreme Court ruling that she, Phillip Paulwell, Robert Pickersgill, Colin Campbell and Norton Hinds, must testify in open court about a J$31 million donation by Trafigura Baheer to the opposition People’s National Party (PNP) in 2006.Court of Appeal reserve decisionOn Thursday, the Court of Appeal reserved its decision following an application by the attorneys for the former prime minister and the other appellants for leave to take their case to the Privy Council.In applying for leave to the take the matter to the UK, the attorneys argued that the Appeal Court had incorrectly interpreted section 16 of the Constitution which gives protection to Simpson Miller and the others not to be compelled to give testimony publicly.The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) which represents the Dutch government opposed the application, urging the Court to reject the application on the ground that the constitutionality of the ruling of Justice Campbell had been challenged before the Constitutional Court which rejected the arguments.Dutch authorities wants to question The Dutch Authorities want to question the former prime minister and PNP president and the senior PNP members, but they have challenged the ruling to give statements in public.Under Dutch law it’s illegal for companies to donate to political parties. At the time of the donation, Trafigura had an oil-lifting contract with the then PNP administration.In 2006, the Trafigura scandal resulted in the resignation of Colin Campbell as Information Minister.
As Tropical Storm Isaac continues to move closer to the Eastern Caribbean the Jamaica Defense Force (JDF), Coast Guard has advised fishermen occupying the Cays to evacuate and move to land. High alertThe Coast Guard, in a statement, said that it is on high alert and will also be evacuating its personnel from Station Pedro Cays and Lieutenant Commander Aceion Prescott – the Acting Commanding Officer of the Coast Guard, is urging persons to heed the warning. He said storms can strengthen suddenly and become even deadlier as well as more unpredictable overnight. In order to assist persons on the Pedro Banks, the Coast Guard has dispatched one of its Offshore Patrol Vessels.The Coast Guard said persons should take advantage of the opportunity as the approaching storm will make it extremely unlikely that another trip will be possible.Isaac losing strengthEarly Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center reported that Issac was losing some strength.However, on its forecast track, the storm continues to move towards the west bearing 16 miles per hour winds, and this general motion is expected to continue through the weekend. The center of the storm is forecast to move across the central Lesser Antilles and into the Eastern Caribbean Sea on Thursday.
Nigerian football fans on Sunday afternoon were pleasantly surprised to watch the debut of previously unheralded Francis Uzoho in goal for Deportivo La Coruna against Eibar in the Spanish La Liga.The goalkeeper who only clocks 19 in exactly ten days, exhibited good ball handling and composure for a relatively untested rookie, earning high praises and reviews across the globe.Deportivo La Coruna have a strong connection with great African goalkeepers. Cameroon legend Jacques Sango’o and Nigeria counterpart Peter Rufai, both donned the jersey of the Spanish club at various points of their hugely successful careers and it must be pleasing to groom yet another future African great goalkeeper in Uzoho, who coincidentally was born a year before Rufai departed Deportivo.The greatest beneficiaries of Uzoho’s emergence are the Nigeria Football Federation, who should know a thing or two about the teenage star who served as third-choice goalkeeper at the 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates. Nigeria won a fourth world title at that level of football, but little or nothing was heard and known about Uzoho, while the much celebrated first-choice goalkeeper Dele Alampasu, who was selected as best in his position by the world football governing body took all the spotlight and accolades.Nigeria have a major goalkeeping worry ahead of next summer’s FIFA World Cup in Russia. There is no tried, trusted and verified number one goalie eight months before kickoff at the Mundial, despite talks of the possible return of joint-appearance record holder, Vincent Enyeama to the Super Eagles, his experience an undisputed valuable asset missing in the squad.In the event Enyeama is successfully convinced by Gernot Rohr, top hierarchy of the football federation and a few other past and present teammates to return to the Super Eagles for one last swansong at the international level-he will be creating a unique record of being the first Nigerian to appear at four FIFA World Cup tournaments and could surpass Ghanaian Richard Kingston in terms of appearances for an African goalkeeper at the Mundial- the future should be adequately and effectively projected to avoid a long void in the goalkeeping department like was the case in several outfield positions following the retirement of certain star players.Carl Ikeme who seemed to have calmed frayed nerves unfortunately is battling Leukaemia, a battle we all pray he wins and bounces back to continue with his normal life, the fact remains Nigeria have no readymade long-term replacement for Enyeama, hence the emergence of Uzoho could be celebrated in same breath as the Eagles sixth FIFA World Cup qualification.By the end of 2018, the duo of Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa would have clocked the age of 30, the former will actually attain the age of 32 in August, while the latter joins the 30 club in October, hence the need to bring on board a much younger goalkeeper, like was the case with Enyeama in 2002 after the retirement of Ike Shorunmu.While not totally ruling out Alampasu from a future role with the Super Eagles as number one, his inability to play league games in Europe has definitely done his prospects major damage, a setback the new kid-on-the-block, Uzoho will definitely capitalise on as he continues to polish and harness his talent at the magnificent and historic Estadio Municipal de Riazor. Forza Depor!RelatedDeportivo Goalkeeper Gets Super Eagles Call UpOctober 30, 2017In “FIFA”20-year old Francis Uzoho ties the knot in Imo StateDecember 27, 2018In “Lifestyle”Rohr Moves To Solve Goalkeeping ProblemFebruary 26, 2018In “National Team”
Related Articles BGC: Charities win big as bookies take beating in Britannia Stakes June 19, 2020 Submit Share Share StumbleUpon BetVictor boosts casino portfolio with EveryMatrix’s CasinoEngine June 25, 2020 Gibraltar independent bookmaker will broaden its customer online payment provisions by integrating Easy Payment Gateway (EPG) API system.Confirming the partnership, BetVictor will move to integrate EPG’s payment API across all its gaming channels.The bookmaker is set to benefit from improved reporting on transactions via EPG’s back-end, as well as stronger anti-fraud provisions and improved transactional scaling during the bookmakers busiest periods.Kose Manuel Peral, COO of Easy Payment Gateway commented on the BetVictor partnership “We are delighted to have been selected by such a huge brand to provide a payment platform for BetVictor, working across their many territories.“We were able to solve BetVictor’s challenge for flexible payment options for customers across the globe and we are excited to get the partnership underway.”António Veríssimo, BetVictor’s Head of payments backed EPG as new payment partner: “The integration of the EPG platform gives BetVictor access to best-in-class payment technologies allowing us to offer numerous payment solutions, facilitating payments from all over the globe.“In addition, the Easy Payment Gateway platform allows us to automate many processes using their advanced routing and fraud tools.” EveryMatrix ups CasinoEngine gamification tools with CompetitionLabs June 29, 2020
Kambi takes control of Churchill Downs BetAmerica sportsbook August 28, 2020 Related Articles Share Share Submit StumbleUpon Kambi takes full control of LeoVegas sportsbook portfolio August 26, 2020 Kambi and DraftKings agree on final closure terms July 24, 2020 Sportsbook suppliers Kambi has agreed a deal with gaming firm Casumo to deliver a gamified sports betting product.Leveraging Kambi’s technology, Casumo intend to primarily target casual bettors, and the millions of sports fans who have never placed a bet, with the its new sports product.Detailing a multi-year deal, Kambi’s sportsbook and technology services, including open API’s, are intended to build a sports betting experience with gamification as its core.Casumo hope to utilise its experience of incorporating social gaming features, such as players achievements and leaderboards, into real money games, to create an entertaining and appealing sports betting product. Kristian Nylen, Kambi Chief Executive, commented: “As one of the fastest growing and most innovative operators in Europe, I’m delighted to welcome Casumo to the Kambi network. “A combination of the Kambi Sportsbook and Casumo’s gamification expertise will attract a different player segment than what we’ve been used to, further strengthening the Kambi network.“Moreover, this deal illustrates the flexibility of the Kambi technology, with Casumo widening the spectrum of operators currently adapting our technology to meet their own specific product and marketing requirements.”The Kambi sportsbook is to be integrated into Casumo’s proprietary platform, ahead of the release of a football focussed mobile product.Daniel Durrans, Head of Sportsbook at Casumo, added: “We’re delighted to have signed this deal with Kambi. This is an exciting and collaborative partnership across product and technology.“Casumo is creating a brand new, more intuitive product experience for sports, built on Kambi’s leading sportsbook platform.”The follows news of Kambi announcing an enhancement of its sportsbook platform last month, via an investment with Virtus Sports.The strategic virtual sports deal saw Kambi secure a stake of a little over 25 percent, for a fee of £500,000 (€565,000), giving the firm access to “a high-quality and complementary virtual sports betting product.”
FSB selects Glenn Elliott as new COO August 12, 2020 StumbleUpon Submit GVC absorbs retail shocks as business recalibrates for critical H2 trading August 13, 2020 Related Articles Jason Ader – No Boogeyman… Activism will play a vital part in reshaping gambling August 20, 2020 The Board at GVC may face a battle to pass two resolutions at its AGM next week regarding executive pay after shareholders were advised to vote against the proposals.GVC, which operates the betting brands Ladbrokes, Coral & bwin, intends to award CEO Kenny Alexander and chairman Larry Feldman huge share option packages, worth £45m and £22.5m respectively since 2016.While the figures make eye-bulging reading (they have been criticised for being 550 times the average wage of the company) it is because the company has been doing so well that the amounts have inflated to the size they are today.The remuneration scheme is linked to the firm’s share price, which hit an all-time high of £10.26 recently, as the company has grown massively under Alexander’s stewardship, not least thanks to the £3.2bn deal he brokered for the Ladbrokes Coral Group.According to The Guardian, shareholder advice bodies Pirc and Glass Lewis are advising investors to vote against the pay report at the company’s annual meeting in Gibraltar on 6 June.Last year Bet365 CEO Denise Coates became the best paid boss in the UK with a pay package of over £200m. Share Share
Submit Related Articles StumbleUpon Mace launches EQ Connect to solve the industry’s ‘single view’ conundrum on identifying risk August 10, 2020 Kambi and DraftKings agree on final closure terms July 24, 2020 Share Unibet backs #GoRacingGreen as lead racing charity July 28, 2020 Share Seeking to gain an instant foothold within the US sports betting market, Stockholm-listed European online gambling operator Kindred Group Plc is reported to be eyeing DraftKings as its next acquisition target.This weekend, US betting news source LegalSportsReport.com (LSR) reported Kindred governance’s interest in acquiring ‘big 2’ daily fantasy sports operator DraftKings.Kindred’s rumoured interest in DraftKings, follows last month’s development that FTSE100 betting group Paddy Power Betfair (PPB) had agreed to form a new US betting enterprise merging its Betfair US division with FanDuel.LSR has not detailed any financial terms in regards to Kindred’s potential interest in acquiring DraftKings enterprise.Nevertheless, should Kindred governance move on DraftKings, the Stockholm firm would likely have to undertake its biggest corporate acquisition to date, triggering a target value + €1 billion for the DFS operator, thus meeting the expectations of DraftKings’ venture investors.Following SCOTUS repeal of PASPA’s federal mandate, DraftKings CEO and Co-Founder Jason Robins has stated that the DFS operator will now push to gain instant traction within state-licensed US betting jurisdictions.Last week DraftKings announced its first betting partnership with New Jersey-based Resorts Atlantic City Casino.Leading DraftKings operations, Jason Robins maintains that his preferred option is to list the company on a US exchange, fulfilling the firm’s enterprise valuation.
Related Articles TVBET passes GLI test for five live games in Malta and Italy August 25, 2020 StumbleUpon Share Di Maio’s man Giacomo Lasorella takes leadership of AGCOM August 17, 2020 CT Gaming bolsters Italian profile with The Betting Coach August 27, 2020 Speaking to Italian business news sources, Bepi Pezzulli, the new General Counsel of SKS365, Italy’s leading bookmaker, has detailed insights of the stark realities facing all gambling incumbents, under the governance of the Lega-5Star coalition government.Pezzulli forms part of a new SKS365 leadership team, who took control of the bookmaker in January, following a number of high-profile executive departures.SKS365’s new Counsel outlines that in a short period of time Lega-5Star hostile Dignity Decree policies have impacted all active Italian betting incumbents – with Pezzulli outlining the far-reaching negative impact on Italian betting’s stakeholder value chain.“The Italian political environment is unfavourable to the gaming industry, especially due to its mistaken communication strategy. There are many issues that have been overlooked such as lower league sports clubs and organisations living on sponsorships alone. The execution of the Decree has been poor on this aspect. It is of note that the regulated industry forms a protection against illegality” – Pezzulli details.Mirroring the comments of Italian industry trade body LOGiCO, Pezzulli maintains that Lega-5Star’s Decree and advertising ban have been counterproductive in its mandate against bad actors.“The ban does not help gaming companies to steer customers in legal betting shops instead of illegal networks”.Facing a period of market uncertainty, combined with the continued regulatory trend of tougher gambling restrictions and penalties, Pezzulli notes that Lega-5Star has created an ‘unattractive marketplace’ for home and international investors.“There are no investors who want to invest in an adverse environment, without forgetting structural disincentives such as high taxes, bureaucracy and legal uncertainty. It is a paradoxical situation because Italy is a great and rich market and it still ensures its operators a profit margin”.Closing his statement, Pezzulli details SKS365 future movements, navigating what is perhaps European gambling’s toughest marketplace.“We aim to strengthen our market leadership. In these moments of uncertainty that we are currently facing, the key is relying on quality, efficiency in our structures and transparency in our products, prices and offers”. Submit Share
Submit Share TIU denies two requests to lift provisional suspensions July 27, 2020 Related Articles Victoria Police charges two following tennis corruption investigation June 29, 2020 GVC Foundation backs Eastern European Championship tennis appeal June 17, 2020 StumbleUpon Share The Tennis Integrity Unit (TIU) has revealed that for the first quarter of 2019 a total of 21 match alerts were reported over potential threats to integrity. Of the alerts, 20 were related to matches played on the ATP Challenger and ITF World Tennis Tour (WTT) circuits, with the other coming from the WTA Tour. It’s a figure that represents the lowest for any quarterly period since 2015, the first year for which data was made publicly available.The alerts led to various suspensions, including that of 28-year old Chilean player Cristobal Saavedra-Corvalan in January, the 663rd ranked player received a suspension for two and a half years and a fine of $8,000 after being found guilty of failing to co-operate with a TIU investigation.A further four individuals received sanctions in the opening quarter of 2019, as the TIU deepened its commitment to a zero-tolerance policy on corruption in the sport, these include: Emmanuel Ikakah, Adimabua Iyorovbe, Mauricio Alvarez-Guzman and David Norfeldt. The first quarter of 2019 also saw the TIU strengthen its corporate team with the appointment of Former Sport England CEO Jennie Price as its independent Chair of the Tennis Integrity Unit Supervisory Board in early February 2019. As well as this, the TIU added to its investigative resource with the appointment of former law enforcement officer Mark Fletcher. Mark joined the unit in February after a 27-year career as a detective with the Metropolitan Police in London. His service included 14 years as an officer in the Flying Squad, a division responsible for tackling serious organised crime. He becomes the eighth member of the TIU’s dedicated investigative team and 17th member of staff overall.